20 Essential Facts About Hotel Technology

Most hoteliers know that technology isn’t going away, and that today’s guest expects to be able to use technology at a hotel the same way they would at home. But it’s about more than just streaming Netflix in their guest rooms — it’s also about the ease and convenience that hotel technology can provide in all aspects of their stay. These statistics highlight the role technology plays in hospitality today, as well as what guests are looking for in hotel technology.


  1. Forty-three (43) percent of hoteliers identified mobile guest engagement as a top spending priority in 2016. (Source: Hospitality Tech)
  2. Sixty (60) percent of consumers are more likely to choose a hotel that is smartphone-enabled. (Source: Software Advice)
  3. Mobile represented roughly half of all travel bookings in 2016. (Source: Skift)
  4. Sixty-nine (69) percent of leisure travelers who are also smartphone users search for travel ideas during their spare moments. (Source: Think With Google)
  1. Almost 70 percent of users who book rooms within 24 hours of check-in do so using a mobile device. (Source: Expedia)


  1. Twenty-seven (27) percent of business travelers would like to use self check-in and check-out kiosks. (Source: Statista)
  1. The average time it takes to self check-in at CitizenM hotels is less than two minutes; average time to self check-out is 30 seconds. (Source: Hotel News Now)
  1. Thirty-seven (37) percent of guests would be more likely to choose a hotel lobby with technology such as self check-in kiosks over ones without. (Source: Software Advice)


  1. The amount of revenue lost across the hospitality industry due to poor Wi-Fi offerings is estimated to be roughly $5 billion per year. (Source: Tnooz)
  1. Guests across all hotel segments agree that they would be willing to pay more for complimentary Wi-Fi. (Source: Gallup)
  1. The average guest travels with three Wi-Fi enabled devices. (Source: Travel + Leisure)
  1. Approximately 36 percent of hoteliers allocated extra resources to improve guest room bandwidth in 2016. (Source: Hospitality Tech)

Online Reviews

  1. When it comes to online reviews, 60 percent of them are placed on TripAdvisor, versus 22 percent on Facebook and 16 percent on Twitter. (Source: Brandon Gaille)
  1. Approximately 90 percent of consumers say their purchase decisions are influenced by online reviews. (Source: Marketingland)
  1. Consumer reviews are trusted nearly 12 times more than descriptions that come from manufacturers. (Source: eMarketer)
  1. Negative reviews can be good for business: consumers who actively search for bad reviews convert 67 percent more than those who don’t. (Source: Econsultancy)


  1. Forty (40) percent of travelers say technology should reduce travel costs for them. (Source: Software Advice)
  1. More than half of hotel bookings take place online. (Source: Hospitality Net)
  1. Hotel chains own 70 percent of the guest room supply in the U.S. The remaining 30 percent — the independent hoteliers — are hugely reliant on OTAs to promote their hotels. (Source: Frederic Gonzalo)
  2. Thirty-four (34) percent of business travelers want more power outlets and USB ports in their guest rooms. (Source: Statista)


Leave a Reply

Loop Report Logo

Have The Loop Report Delivered to Your Inbox Monthly
Join customer experience leaders and receive customer engagement tips and resources delivered directly to your inbox with The Loop Report each month.

Benbria needs the contact information you provide to us to contact you about our products and services. You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time. For information on how to unsubscribe, as well as our privacy practices and commitment to protecting your privacy, please review our Privacy Policy.

Latest Blogs

Loop 4.2 Release
See What’s New: Loop 4.32 Release
June 6, 2024By
Elevating Campus Dining: The Power of Student Feedback
June 6, 2024By
The Essential Impact Food has in Long-Term Care Homes
May 29, 2024By